We’ve all been there. We’ve all heard the sayings:
- “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” ~ Friedrich Nietzsche
- “No one has the power to shatter your dreams unless you give it to them.” ~ Maeve Greyson
- “When you feel like quitting think about why you started.” Unknown
And the list goes on and on…
A few weeks ago I had a pretty discouraging outcome from something I have worked and put my heart and soul into for the last seven months: a one-minute message for my speaker’s reel. Many of you probably think what’s the big deal? It’s one minute. Yes, it was one minute of information I am an expert on; so what made/makes my heart race and my thoughts turn to confusion when I look into a camera or talk in front of a group of people?
Friends who know me would never guess speaking in public or in front of a camera would make me freeze like an ice cube because I can pretty much talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime… However, the head chatter, “I’m not good enough” or “Why would they want to listen to what I have to say” or “How can I make this interesting because they’ve probably heard it before” surfaces, and it takes practice to keep the chatter at bay. Lots and lots of practice and a change in mindset because we are enough, we do have things to say people want to hear, and we are interesting!
Entrepreneurs are a special breed; I’ve been one for 20+ years, and even when I was growing up I sold enough Camp Fire Girl candy every year from second through eighth grade for summer camp scholarships (yes, my mom was our cheerleader and we went door to door every weekend but hey, who doesn’t love a little kid trying to sell candy – that helps right?). I also remember going around collecting canned goods for Jerry Lewis Muscular Dystrophy Carnivals… The entrepreneurial spirit is in our blood and deep down I think it’s because, whether we want to believe it or not, we’re BRAVE. During my walk the other night I was listening to my music and the song “BRAVE” came on and it clicked in my head… Entrepreneurs are BRAVE; why else would we do what we do? Okay, maybe the term “entrepreneurs are a bit crazy” comes to mind too, but to put ourselves out there speaking, coaching, hitting the pavement, doing the best we can for clients, learning to balance and not be taken advantage of but providing great customer care and more. We’re BRAVE:
Brilliantly Responsible, Authentic, (and) Vibrant Everyday.
- Brilliant(ly): As entrepreneurs, being brilliant at what we do is crucial because if we aren’t there are plenty of other people out there with the same skills we have. How are we going to stand out and do it better? Keep learning. Keep reading…
- Responsible: Are you responsible? Do you meet deadlines? Do your classes, products, programs fulfill the promise you gave clients? How do you handle responsibility?
- Authentic: Be yourself. If you like a lighthearted, casual atmosphere for work and can make sure you meet deadlines, etc., that’s okay; it’s okay to laugh and have fun. If you’re more formal, that’s okay too. People would rather work with the real you than an imposter. Authenticity is where it’s at!
- Vibrant: Sometimes the words “happy and excited” wouldn’t describe your day or what’s going on in your business, but when you’re out networking or speaking with a client or at an event – be happy, smile. It goes a long way and you never know who might need that smile or laugh you bring to them that day! Plus, people remember a smile and a laugh.
- Everyday: Bring your best self to the table everyday. We may not always feel like it (trust me, been there, done that), but the entrepreneur in us has to show up daily so find a MasterMind group, network in person and meet people, find a support system outside the office and go for it!
We all have days, great and not so great; it’s life, it’s business. What do you do that shows you’re BRAVE? Love to hear from you.
Until next time,
*BRAVE by Sara Bareilles