How to make sure your media kit is heads above the rest!
What is a media kit and why do I need one? Your book is written. You want to find speaking gigs, be on talk shows, podcasts, or perhaps your goal is live TV. You never know who might want to take a look at your book or be interested in the topic of your book – event planners, bloggers, book retailers; the list goes on. The most important question for you to consider is: How is the press, reporter, producer and all these other people going to find you and write a story or interview you so people find out who you are as an author?
Answer: Because you have a dynamite media kit ready and easy for them to find.
You’ve heard of a media kit, but what exactly is a media kit?
A media kit is a valuable resource; an information packet for reporters, publishers, podcast hosts, radio hosts, and anyone else to quickly learn about you as an author and your author brand. They can also learn about your products (books and other items you sell) and access marketing materials and photos to use in stories they cover about you.
What items does a media kit contain?
Media kits contain information about the author, the author’s brand, the business, etc. For our purposes, we’re going to discuss information an author would use in their media kit so not only the reporters and publishers and hosts…, but your audience learns about you as an author and your brand. They’ll discover this from the information you provide in the following documents:
- Author One Sheet
- Book Description
- Book Reviews/Testimonials
- Contact Information
- Fun Facts About You
- Interview Topics/Questions
- Press Release
- Radio/Podcast Conversations
- Sample Chapter
- Six-Eight Professional Images
You can see Colleen’s media page for an example of what might be included. Each profession has slightly different information for their media kits but they all include sections of the above list.
Why a media kit is important for you!
Think of your media kit as your digital resume where members of the media and your ideal audience discover information about you as an author and your brand. This information separates you from others writing on the same topic. Your press kit makes it easy for busy reporters and publishers to access your information and answers questions they would normally ask you in person. Thus, they can research you, consider interviewing you, and even write a story about you without contacting you. How cool would that be?
- 1-1/2-hour detailed consultation with Peter and/or Colleen via Zoom to discuss information needed for your media kit and how to best use your media kit to gain free media exposure
- Receive a preliminary questionnaire to cover background information and other pertinent information needed for your media kit
- Basic media kit written by Colleen and Peter including:
- Author One Sheet
- Author Long Bio (Up to 300 words – will be able to make short bio from this)
- 10 Fun Facts about Author
- 10 Interview Questions
- Email access to Peter and Colleen for changes and questions
- Detailed list of items for media kit and explanation
- One 30-minute follow-up call
Package Value: $699; You Pay: $399
Why Colleen and Peter?
We’ve helped authors from writing press releases to writing one sheets to planning and writing their entire media kit documents and everything in between. Having your media kit ready and available on your author website when you receive the all-important call/email from a producer, reporter, blogger, etc., lessens your stress. The documents are all neat and tidy and ready to go. As we always tell our clients or groups when speaking with them – marketing starts as soon as you begin writing or better yet, before – don’t wait until the last minute.
For my two books, Colleen assisted with copyediting and formatting the book proposals as well the Author One Sheets. After working with Colleen, my anxiety level decreased 100%. Thanks for everything! PERFECTION!”
Karin Kirkendol, Author
Wow, how fortunate I got connected to the services of Colleen and Peter. When you require written materials they need to be your “go-to” people. The press release created for me was flawless and the first one ever written by a service that didn’t have to be rewritten! Thank you for the professional work and for being a joy with whom to work.”
Kay Fittes, CEO, High-Heeled Success, LLC
Craft Your Media Kit Today
Are you ready to:
- add your author media kit aka digital business card to your website so people who want to find out more information about you and your book can find it?
- land speaking gigs, in person, radio or podcast, so people find out more about you and your story? And
- sell books and share your story with the world?
If so, let’s make sure your media kit is ready for your site and easy to access for people who want to find out more about you and your book and make sure it’s ready for you to send to inquiring minds who want to know when they ask for it via email.
Click here to set up a 30-minute complimentary strategy session with Colleen and Peter and let’s see how we can work together so you’re ready when the media calls!